2.17.2015

Back to the drawing board.(skf)


Hello Everyone,

How about some green in the midst of all of this gray and white?
This are my latest drawings. After creating a number of paintings from my photos of D.W. Field, I found a need to return to drawing. When I paint, the consciousness that I enter into is very formal, full of  histories and procedures, Each brushstroke is a measurement of appropriateness for the place in the developing puzzle. Or translation: as your image is built by all of the classical elements of painting you are also gauging each mark in relationship to the next. Does this brushstroke work better than another?
For me it is highly cerebral. I wanted to let my hair down and make my painting a little more like the way I like to draw.
This work on the left is "The Tree Dervish"
 I used watercolor crayons so I could enjoy the sketchy movements of a graphic mindset. Later I can go over it with a brush to blend or place an expressive mark without being so tight.



 With the next work, I went back and forth
 from painting to drawing.
 I still think it is a bit stiff so on my next work,
 I decided to only draw.












 The trees are create by the absence of any medium.
 This challenges me about fully using the negative space.





 Then the leaves are secondary to the image. I like the woodcut effect.





 Oddly enough, this blue work feels the most honest and it's my least favorite. So what's the deal with that?








Still, I want a looser, freer way of working.




On these three drawings, I went back and forth between using my brush for flat color outlines,then using my pencils and crayon for definition. Shapes would come forward then retreat so it hopefully shimmers  at the edge of realistic and abstraction.

As I pinned them up on the wall, put down my handful of instruments I stood back and thought about the effectiveness of my method. I sensed I was onto something.

Now all I need to do is repeat this process a couple hundred times then I'll know if it's authentic or not.

I hope you are inspired to try your own version of this winter madness. The more color you use the less stir crazy you'll be.

Keep the faith, it will warm up soon.

SKF








2 comments:

  1. the blue piece is totally my favorite -kes

    ReplyDelete
  2. the blue piece is totally my favorite -kes

    ReplyDelete