4.12.2016

Fabric Scrap Poetry





  Here's the update of my earlier blog. I took the strips of color I was so enjoying and transformed it into a birch grove. The black leaves are made from a faux leather with the trees being crafted from silk wrapped rope.

This little vignette inspired me to try to create poetry from the bits and pieces of fabric scraps so I made textile sketches out of the leftovers. There's something transcendent in playing with materials that hold little value except for the fact I like the color or the texture. In using media that's from," the nothing to lose by trying" file, I find a kind of expressive freedom. This may (or not) inform paintings when I return to more traditional mediums.

Not all of these works are done. I want the vibe of each one to tell me where to go artistically. So a strange mix of patience and faith operate in my work. Who knows? (this is said with an exaggerated shrug).

I hope these challenge others to let go and try something new.

SKF





No comments:

Post a Comment