7.26.2016

Superstar by Andrea Zimon

I remember watching the movie, Addam's Family Values. Towards the end, the antagonist rationalizes  her psychotic leanings by stating that her parents got her Malibu Barbie instead of Ballerina Barbie which so she so desperately wanted.

 This line was amusing to me (among others) because I remember a rather profound discussion with my cousin validating the merits of Malibu, Ballerina, and Superstar Barbie. We decided that as she could wear anything Malibu Barbie was a keeper. Ballerina Barbie was worthy of our collection as she could twirl. However, Superstar Barbie had issues, particularly with the arms. We just didn't think the bent arms were realistic (eyes rolling here). Plus, we decided that those bent arms were a hindrance in speedy dress changes. After all, what good is Barbie without her wardrobe? For the record, I was the one with Malibu Barbie and my cousin had Ballerina Barbie so we were definitely biased. To the best of my knowledge,  Barbie was not responsible for any my childhood trauma but my parents did not buy me a pony which probably led to all sort of other problems.




This artwork was supposed to be a meaningful piece interpreting that special bond between woman and horse. Then it went rogue. I liked that horse but not its placement .Then the figure took on the form of the discussed Superstar Barbie and I decide to scrap 'meaningful' and embraced the superstar theme.  

No comments:

Post a Comment