2.25.2018

lightning rod by karin eda sanborn

How does the imagination operate when the hands are engaged?

Can a translation of life occur, as if by proxy, at the round ends of the fingertips? Can the digits act as eyeballs do—to witness, decode, and report data that smell, touch, taste, sight, or hearing take in to the body? Braille operates by this mechanism.

Biological fire bolts shoot from the circuitry in my brain 24/7 as a result of too much information coming in from the outside world. I engage in an essential form of communication when at work in the studio. My palms receive data signals like the call and response that happens when two jazz musicians play music together. The making process grounds the invisible electricity that I feel. Thorough creativity, I can transform a lot of neurological noise into something productive, be it in the form of a sculpture, a drawing, or a song.

It's taken decades to come to this realization. This month's post is a nod to a significant mentor. 
Thanks Peter. I am learning to play piano...

By Peter Bodge


No comments:

Post a Comment