2.07.2014

A somewhat benign bad guy for a children's story. I'm thinking of Eric Von Zipper as a model.


Here's a tutorial on my stop motion puppet.
First I cut the skeleton out of aluminum with a pair of tin snips. Then, file the edges until they are nice and smooth. Next, drill two holes on the bottom cross bar.

The legs are constructed from twisted wire and leave the loops on the top and the bottom. I make a jig with two screws in  scrap wood. This way you can do consistent sizes for multiple puppets. Small machine screws and nuts go through the loops. The feet are a W shape that I loop in the middle before twisting the claws.

Now that I have a basic structure, I start sewing the outer covering. Sometimes this is a real trial and error experience to get  the proportions right. You are seeing the second head. The head and the wings are held in place with Velcro. You can paint white Velcro with acrylic to match your fabric selection.
I'm still not sure of the look, yet. It needs further development. But don't you just love where an old pair of jeans can end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment