10.23.2014

Leaf Peeking at the Moose Hill Gallery - skf

Geometry and Time
Grape Leaf Gestures


 Hello to all on a really dreary day and after a really horrible night. Cheer up and please visit : The Mass. Audubon's Moose Hill Wildlife Gallery. My two green paintings shown will be on display at the art exhibit;

"LEAVES" Color, Cadence, & Texture
 October 23 through January 19, 2015

   I did " Grape Leaf Gestures" after viewing the Jamie Wyeth show at the MFA. I was inspired by his method of using watercolor applied with a small twig. I used a stem from a weed in the Boot Factory parking lot and with this highly sophisticated instrument, I pulled the oil paint across the surface. I also discovered that because I was painting on PVC that I could scratch into the soft substrate creating very realistic effects of the light penetrating through the translucent veins of the leaf. I really enjoyed working this way. I felt a connection to the cave painters of Lascaux, France while I held my little stick.
                                                                   
                                                               
Emergence
  Later  I painted the "Geometry and Time" work after I became fascinated with the very specific angles that the veins had in relationship to the stems. Even after the leaves fell off of the trees and began to break down into leaf litter, the angle was always consistent. I was struck by the permutations inherent in a simple geometry.We are all surrounded by a natural elegance that never disappoints me in its applications.

  This work called " Emergence" was not accepted but it's
 one of my favorites. I love the rhythm and the color.
It reminds me of a bright day in September while Phillip and I were walking along the pond at D.W. Field in Brockton.
Hopefully, there will be more clear and sunny day days coming to us , soon!
For more info on the show visit
http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/moose-hill/exhibits/leaves-color-cadence-texture
or
www.massaudubon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment