3.10.2015

Stencils (az)

I initially thought of stencils to be used on your walls and while I had seen some incredible work done with these products, the thought of dragging out a ladder and using them on my walls was fleeting at best. It also seemed like you had to use special paints and brushes to do it.

 But when I met Karin, a print maker, she invited me to see her artwork at a local show. In her work, she used the most amazing shapes, colors, textures, and of course, stencils; but stencils of her own making and on paper (no ladder required). The thought of making my own stencils was very intriguing and stayed with me for many years.

When I was more engaged in artistic experimentation, I did start working with my own stencils. These stencils were made out of coated paper or thin notebook covers. I ended up using what brushes I had on hand, make-up sponges, stamp pads, and craft paint. I do also have to confess that I have bought some stencils, too. 

The below was a finished piece that was given as a gift. I used my stencil with a make up sponge for the horses' bodies and then  I used pen and pencils to draw in the details.


Here are some examples of reductive stenciling. A technique I got from L.K. Ludwig's book, 'Creative Wildfire'. The simple explanation of this process is apply paint, let dry, paint layer of another color, let it slightly dry, apply stencil, take a damp rag and scrub paint off within the stencil. 



Instead of using paint, I traced the stencil shape and added detailing where needed.









Now, it isn't scary to think about putting stencils on the wall.  Where did I put that ladder?
-az

No comments:

Post a Comment