4.14.2015

Public Parks for All (SKF)





Greetings,
        I'm back from the Windy City. I had a wonderful time at my parents' 65th wedding anniversary and visited with my siblings and spouses, some of whom I had not seen for 15 years. While I was there we took a walk along the shoreline of Lake Michigan at a beautiful public park. It was overcast but many people had come out anyway to enjoy an early spring day. Part of the beach was off limits to the public with a boldly printed trespassing sign. For those of us who live in apartments, this is our only contact with nature. I put together a short video of my work showing just how important a walk through my local park, D.W. Field, is. Even if this park did not serve as the main subject matter of my paintings and drawings, it also provides for all of us a place of communion and renewal. I'm proud to live in a multicultural community, Brockton,MA.


Here people can casually  meet others with whom we hold a common bond in our enjoyment of this priceless jewel.  As we pass each other, a smile, a hello or a nod of the head, we look into a stranger's eyes and we both think this is a really cool place."Aren't we lucky ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment