2.24.2016

The process of an artist -az

I remember a time of being amazed at the amount of artwork that Karin and Sarah produced. At the time, Karin had many colorful and textural mono prints and Sarah was crafting all these unusual objects . At the time, I produced slowly and little. I hoped that someday I could create at that level but knew it was unlikely. Later, I learned how to amass a quantity. Simply to do what you do a lot. I draw whenever on whatever. I draw on good paper, bad paper, scraps,and scrapbook paper.  Some of my favorite works have been on the back of envelopes that I drew while waiting on hold on the phone. And I amassed all this art work just like my blog mates. Now, I am amazed at myself as a go through my sketchbooks, journals, and bags of loose works. The below of one of many, many works. 

Decades ago, I started this drawing, got bored, came back and started another.Years ago, I unearthed it. I didn't like the drawing, so  I practiced a warm up technique in charcoal, so there are lines of charcoal over and in the drawings. Then at some point in the last couple of years, I decided the faces were salvageable and somewhat finished it with black pen and watercolor. Later, I cut one drawing out and if you look at the figure on the left, there is an eye on the headdress from a figure I didn't like and erased. In what I think was surely a good plan, I painted the middle figure's eyes red. I then digitally altered the piece as a whole.  

None of the individual drawings are great. Composition-wise, the work is fair if that. It simply tells  a story of doing, producing, experimenting, and accepting the outcome which is part of the process of an artist. 


1 comment:

  1. The discussion of process is meaningful and speaks to the hard, continual work of art making far more than value judgments which aren't part of the life of a piece, rather its analysis after. This post gives evidence to the fact that doing the work is what matters. The question 'do I want to live in a world where being is about the single greatest voice that never sings or the one where everyone tries'? comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete