9.27.2016

When the World Seems Crazy Make Baskets by Sarah Feragen


 Hello All,

I've had a very full summer. A couple of trips with family followed by celebrations , special events, and parties. This hiatus from my work has created a new perspective. I took down my wall of plant work from DW. Field. It was time to shake the etch- o- sketch and start fresh. Sometimes our own work can become oppressive if we think we have to continue in a certain way.

I started to veiw these simple crocheted baskets as color expressions.Then I pulled out my stash of old fabrics and began to match combinations that felt lighter and brighter. I added embellishments ( as it struck my fancy) to further enhance a feeling of delight. I sense this is developing towards a dioramma type expression but I'm not sure how that is going to work. The form, the meeting of sculpture and painting seems inenvitable, I just don't want to push the process. It turns out better when it flows through  the doing.

                                                             
 I'm searching for that feeling of discovery,
like the image was there                                                                   all along.

I keep eyeing my husband's Hawaiian Shirts because I love the colors but he won't give them up no matter how many holes there are and how far into fall we are. Do you think he'll miss just one?

Love,
Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment