10.24.2017

we'll dance by karin eda sanborn

A day in the studio, what does it look like? 
How does the work start? 
What informs it? 

Everyone's process is unique. I sit down in uncluttered studio space or go for a walk. 
Then I begin with no idea but I do have tools. 

Phenomenology is the primary cog in my creative engine. Phenomenology directly investigates without preconceived theories or notions. Dabney Townsend described phenomenology as the finding of place.(1)

The French philosopher Gaston Bachelard (1884-1962), wrote The Poetics of Space to celebrate space, time, and imagination through the diverse world of phenomenology. It is a practice where every lens taking the view in is worthy. He wrote: 
A phenomenologist takes the image just as it is, just as the poet created it, and tries to make it his own...to the very limit of what he is able to imagine.(2) 

When the architecture of the world meets the physicality of my body, the five senses engage to experience the transient nature of the universe. It does not matter where I am or if I have art supplies. Now I am ready to begin interpreting the event visually. In the next step of the creative process I practice the shotokan martial arts sentiment, know your environment, to decide the next move. 

(1) TOWNSEND, Dabney The Southwestern Journal of Philosophy Vol. 8, No. 2 (SUMMER, 1977), pp. 133-139. 
(2) Bachelard, Gaston The Poetics of Space. 1994. Beacon Press, Boston, MA p. 227.


cell
2017 observation


No comments:

Post a Comment