8.26.2014

The less than perfect practice - az

Practice. It is all about practice.Sometimes when I practice, I feel like I am not getting any better. Yet, I still do it for what results from my practice, which is that I get better.  It took my old art journals and sketchbooks to make me realize this.  One of the many things I practice while drawing is hands. I heard once that hands are very hard to draw and I took on that challenge like King Arthur's knights to the Holy Grail. I am still on that quest.
Goggles, journal page,10 x 7"
The above I started a long time ago and reworked it years later. The hand was already done in ink so it was hard to change the hand. 
Gallatica, journal spread, 10 x 14"

I cheated by putting the hand in the above in an easy outstretched pose but proportion is still a work in progress. 

Desert scene,  journal spread, 12 x 18"
'Desert Scene' on the other hand is a fairly recent creation. I acknowledged that there were bones in the hand.  I weaseled out of acknowledging the wrist by strategically putting a jewelry creation on it. Of course, the collaged figure on the left also has technical issues with her hand but I liked the implied motion of the arm (or at least my world she looked like she was walking).

Some days are good and some days are not, but I always feel better for at least having participated in the quest. 

az

No comments:

Post a Comment