7.17.2018

Presence Project #4 by Andrea Zimon

      Maelstrom

This piece started out as ‘whirlwind’ but another antonym of whirlwind is maelstrom. This project presents wind, storm, energy, and destruction with slab coils. It became ‘maelstrom’ when it broke after the bisque stage. I rebuilt by ‘gluing’ it with glaze It also adds a final stage presence by noting wind with slab coils and cut holes to represent airy movement. The curled coils represent storm. The destruction of presence is what happened after the bisque stage. It notes the presence of calm after the storm as starts to picks up the pieces of what is left. 

I used a form to build a bowl in the middle which I put holes in to let light and 'air' through. The glaze produced a thinner coverage than I had hoped for. As with all these projects, they were an exploration, a continual testing of what I can do with stoneware and glaze. Not my best or favorite piece, but a step closer to becoming a better ceramicist. 








Looking downward view.

Bottom view. You can see the holey bowl support.















No comments:

Post a Comment